In 1897 the Cannon Street Hospital and Training School for Nurses opened here. Established by African American physicians to serve their community during the Jim Crow era, this was the first hospital training school for nurses in the state. In 1956, the hospital moved to a new building at 25 Courtenay Dr. It was renamed McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital, which closed in 1976. Today this is the site of MUSC's Ashley River Tower.